The Royal cancelled for 2020

The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair had been scheduled for November

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair has cancelled its 2020 event, only the second time the Royal has not been held in 100 years.

The risk to the safety of exhibitors and attendees from COVID-19 eventually made the decision for the board of directors.

“Over the past several months, we’ve all experienced an unprecedented disruption to our daily lives and are redefining how we live, work and play. Ultimately, our decision is grounded in our commitment to help ensure the health and well-being of our community at large,” said Charlie Johnstone, chief executive officer at The Royal.

During its history, The Royal has been cancelled on one other occasion, during World War II. At that time, the stalls within the historic Royal Horse Palace were transformed into Army Barracks to house soldiers preparing to be deployed to join our Canadian and Allied troops fighting in Europe.

“We understand and appreciate the time, effort and financial commitment required to compete and exhibit at The Royal and did not make this decision without very careful consideration,” said Johnstone.

In additional to The Royal’s Agricultural Food Competitions, which will still take place in 2020, virtual programming designed to engage, educate and motivate is currently being explored for this fall.

The next Royal is scheduled for Nov. 5 to 14, 2021.

About the author

Comments

explore

Stories from our other publications