Before filling grain bins or using temporary storage, thoroughly clean the bins or storage site.
Follow these steps each time you empty a bin and before filling it with new grain:
- Eliminate dust and dockage from any cracks in the bin.
- Repair holes, cracks and leaks in the bin and cracks in the floor if it is concrete.
- Clean under the floor grates.
- Apply approved insecticides to disinfest grain bins.
- For temporary storage, clear area of all debris.
- For temporary storage, ensure area is graded so that water flows away from the grain.
James Dyck, OMAFRA’s engineering specialist, crop systems and environment, suggests cleaning under full aeration floors. That’s a challenge as most of the floor needs to be pulled up for cleaning. Bins that are filled once or twice a year won’t build up too much, but a dryer bin filled, emptied and refilled has more potential to gather fines below the floor. He suggests cutting a small inspection hole that can be opened and pictures can be taken under the floor with a phone camera, for monitoring.